Monday, January 10, 2011

Monster Origins

The first monsters I made were party favors for my son's 3rd birthday.  He has a love of monsters and dragons and generally anything big and loud.  I asked him if he'd like me to make him a monster and got an extremely emphatic "yes! pease, pease!"  As I set up the sewing machine he stomped around the house roaring and clawing the air.  He loved the finished product and since we were planning a small birthday celebration I decided to make one for each of his guests.  They were a hit so I played around with different fabrics and stitching until I found a combination that was soft and durable.  Three year olds have interesting ways of "loving" their toys.  They fly through the air, get dragged across the floor, sat on, chewed on, squished and smooshed.  In our house they also have to contend with a baby and a dog so durability is a must.  Now he loves to help me choose the fabric and see the monsters go from drawings to finished products.  He even keeps me on task; "mommy, make a monster. . . now, mommy, pease"  I started the online store to share handmade, quality toys with as many people as possible.  Everyone needs at least one; they're made with love and have so much character and personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment